Marion Brothers

Marion Brothers

Friday, June 22, 2007

Response to Criticism

Dear Brother Tatum,

Let me again say that I greatly admire and appreciate your work, especially in the Boycott of D. L. Hughley, whose stock in the international entertainment arena has suddenly plummeted- again, thanks to you and the other ministers and community leaders. The Boycott was a huge success to the extent that people were educated, informed, and enlightened.

I was moved to joined the boycott because you were provoked by an article that I had written about this pathetic comedic. This is the way I see it:

By now, Fort Worth should be over D. L. Hughley. For the record, the women on Rutgers basketball team had “straighten hair”, not “nappy hair”. And, ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

So D. L. Hughley calls it like he sees it. It is evident his view of the world is distorted with regards to what he said on Jay Leno’s Tonight Show about these young female scholars. These could not have been the “ugliest nappy-headed women” he had ever seen in his life unless he grew up in fairyland.

By right, he can say whatever he wishes to say, because he does have freedom of speech. If only he would look in the mirror, he would see that ugly nappy-headed person of which he speaks.

Review the Rutgers vs. Tennessee college basketball playoff tape. Honestly, which of the Rutgers women were “nappy-headed”? Now review the Imus tape. What did Imus say? Did he see any “nappy-headed whores” or was he just mimicking street talk? Now review Jay Leno’s interview of D. L. Hughley. What did Hughley say? What did he actually see in his mind’s eye? Surely these were beautiful young sisters. Instead of making a joke of Imus when the opportunity presented itself on Jay Leno, Hughley piled on like another rapist.

NO! The problem here is internal. D.L. Hughley is incapable of introspection.

In Channel 5’s interview with Hughley, he mentions “freedom of speech”. Whoever said that this was a “freedom of speech” issue? Psychology would probably look at a mentally distraught man making mockery of people based upon his own psychosis, as butts of his jokes. Making people laugh is his livelihood, but at whose expense?

We have children and youth who idealize Mr. Hughley. It is at their expense that these jokes most impact. They adopt his language and callous behavior, and share the same disrespect for their elders.

Now when someone’s exposes him in his psychopathology, then he hides behind his freedom of speech issue. Let’s be sure of this one thing: The world is not framed by psychosis, but by the truth.

PERSONAL COMMITTMENT

Let us be clear that the right to protest is First Amendment Free Speech. Mr. Hughley tries to offset one First Amendment right to free speech by another right to free speech. Therefore, one offsets the other, as in a “zero sum proposition”.

Bro. Tatum, the right to protest is legal and protected. We need not get permits anymore in Fort Worth to demonstrate. But you were wise in recommending to the team to work collaboratively with the Fort Worth Police Department. We paved the way with good relations with the FWPD and, indeed, some of them supported us in the heart.

You remember my tears over the phone with you, of how much I was moved by all the local, national, and international support. We had a winning strategy without the big numbers.

The right to protest may be legal and protected, but CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE is not. To be successful at this, a man must never cross the line of the law. I had to choose my words carefully, because WE ALL (THE TEAM) anticipated my being ejected from Bass Hall. This we discussed before I went in and came out at INTERMISSION and back in again. No one stopped me or told me that it was unwise. So, it was not individualism as you imply, but a sacrifice which you now wish to disavow. Were we not all of one accord?

But suppose I went back in and yelled “Fire”, that is not protected free speech. That’s a felony. I could not yell out “Fire” or even call him “a nappy-headed B***”, which I would have done back in my old Black Panther days. I had to limit my speech to “Boo”, lest I stoop as low as he.

The crowd was hostile toward me. I thought, for sure, someone would have the backbone to boo along with me. I was terribly disappointed of certain people I saw in the audience and recognized. I felt like a cowboy going into a saloon with a bible in my hand. A preacher doesn’t go into a beer joint and preach the gospel. The minds of alcohol drinkers are darkened and they cannot hear. And, neither would the people at Bass Performance Hall.

Eddie Griffin, to them, was nothing more than a mere inconvenience, to be tossed out of the saloon on my ear, onto the street, like a clown. If I said it once, I’ll say it again: I am a Clown4Christ, and a defender of women’s honor.

I never expected television cameras in my face or to be threatened with arrest and charged with criminal trespassing. Again, after reviewing the tape, I believe my sacrifice was an act of CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE, for which I gladly paid the cost.

Please note my recorded words: “I want my money back. I want a refund.” The media may have wanted to characterize me as some mad protester from off the streets that had trespassed upon the premise. But by asking for a refund, I demonstrated that I was a legitimate paying customer.



MY APOLOGYTO THE CITY

Psalms 127:1 Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman keeps awake in vain.

Why would you burn the house down because of a fly?

Stand-up comics series coming

The N.C. Blumenthal Performing Arts Center and the Comedy Zone have formed a partnership to bring a series of comedy acts to Charlotte, beginning with Sinbad June 30.

Other upcoming performances include storyteller James Gregory, Southern-themed comedian/songwriter Tim Wilson, television star D.L. Hughley and the top performers from NBC's " Last Comic Standing."
"This is a great fit for our two organizations," said Douglas Young, director of theatrical programming for the Blumenthal, located at North Tryon and Sixth Streets.

"The Comedy Zone has tremendous connections in the stand up world. Their participation in this new venture will help us bring some of the biggest talents on the comedy circuit to Charlotte ."
Said Brian Heffron, owner of the Comedy Zone, "We've got a great marriage and it will enable us to better spread the gospel of laughter in Charlotte ."

Here's the schedule:

D.L. Hughley, 7:30 p.m. Oct. 7, Belk Theatre in the Blumenthal.
"Last Comic Standing," 8 p.m. Oct. 22, Belk Theatre in the Blumenthal.
For information: 704-372-1000; www.performingartsctr.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment